news

Trump Facing Criticism Over LIV Golf Series

20/07/22

- Grant Whittington

Former US president Donald Trump has urged players to compete in the controversial Saudi-backed LIV Series despite backlash from families of victims of 9/11. Trump made the call to action ahead of the tour heading to his Bedminster golf course in New Jersey.

Earlier this week, a prominent group advocating for the victims of the 9/11 attacks, 911 Justice, sent correspondence to Trump calling on him to rethink his support of the tour.

While no definitive evidence has even proven it as fact, 9/11 advocacy groups have long linked the Saudi Arabia government to the attacks that took place on 11 September 2001.

It’s All About The Money

According to Brett Eagleson, whose father passed away in the 9/11 attacks, Trump’s prior averments about Saudi Arabia being responsible for the attacks have now been proved correct by official documents released by the FBI. Eagleson told a prominent US news broadcaster that Trump appears to be now choosing monetary gain over the lives of Americans. He described this as a sad day for the country and its people.

But despite the criticism, the former US president on Monday wrote on Truth Social that golfers should think twice before remaining loyal to a disloyal PGA Tour. Trump said a future merger between the two tours seems inevitable, and that golfers will receive no more than a “thank you” while PGA officials continue to rake in millions of dollars each year.

There is currently a state of conflict ailing the sport. While some players have fallen for the massive monetary incentives offered to those willing to join the LIV Series, others are insistent on remaining loyal to the PGA Tour.

Many are accusing the Saudi government of a sports washing attempt to draw attention away from its violations of human rights. Many of golf’s greats remain critical of the Tour, including Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy. But others, like Dustin Johnson, Phil Mickelson, and Sergio Garcia, have indicated their support of the cash-rich competition by signing up.

Trump Has Personal Vendetta  

Trump has long had his own personal gripe with the traditional powers within the sport. After last year’s storming of the US Capitol by supporters of the former president, the PGA decided not to go ahead with staging one of its 2022 championships at Bedminster. Trump’s Turnberry course, which is situated in Scotland, has also been removed from the roster to host the Open.

The LIV Series this week responded to the criticism by offering its condolences to the families of the victims of 9/11. 

Recent Posts from this category

news

05/08/22

Ronaldo Under Fire Ahead Of Premier League...
Read More...

news

04/08/22

Future Unclear For QB Deshaun Watson
Read More...

news

04/08/22

Jota Signs Extended Deal With Liverpool
Read More...

news

29/07/22

LIV Golf Tour Releases Schedule For 2023
Read More...

Bethut.com uses cookies to give the best experience possible. Please read our Cookie Policy for more details.