motorsport

Lewis Hamilton Speaks Up For F1 Fans

September 02, 2021

- Grant Whittington

F1 racing in bad weather is never ideal and is almost always postponed or cancelled. With non-stop rain and unsafe weather conditions at the Spa-Francorchamps Circuit and a three hour delay, it was touch and go for the fans who had come to watch the day’s events. FIA had tried to start the race twice with a long and drawn out 3 hour gap in between.

It seems they managed to achieve two full safety laps before the red flag was waved again. These two laps are enough to meet the rules and regulations to allow the top 10 finishers to be granted half the points. This automated points system being instated meant that Lewis Hamilton was placed into third. Max Verstappen who is a Red Bull title holder, was placed in first. Hamilton did not agree with the second attempt to start the race and has had a lot to say about it.

More News... A Preview Of The F1 Brazilian Grand Prix

Hamilton’s Comments

The seven time world champion made more than one comment about the day’s events, on more than one platform. He told the F1 Sky Sports reporter that he feels like money talks, and it was all about the money. He felt that the sport had made a bad choice and that it had not been a race. He believes that everyone running the race and the drivers got paid, and that the fans should get their money back because they didn’t end up seeing what they came and paid to see.

Later that day on an Instagram post he said that he felt that the day’s events had been a farce and they should have been cancelled. He shared strong feelings about the driver’s safety being at risk and that the fans are the heart of the sport and should be refunded.

The FIA’s Explanation

FIA’s race director Michael Masi also spoke with the F1 Sky Sports team and indicted that the information they had received from their weather statistics showed that there was a possibility for good weather on the horizon. This seems to have been the driving force behind the decision to attempt to continue.

They are required to give the racers and fans a 10 minute heads up before the race commences, they kept waiting for that opportunity and thought they had found it when they called for the second safety lap to commence. According to Masi, other teams had also picked up on this gap in the weather and agreed with decision to go ahead.

Recent Posts from this category

motorsport

15/09/21

FIA to Investigate Verstappen & Hamilton Crash
Read More...

motorsport

09/09/21

George Russell to Drive for Mercedes F1 Team
Read More...

motorsport

02/09/21

Lewis Hamilton Speaks Up For F1 Fans
Read More...

motorsport

22/11/18

A Preview of the F1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
Read More...

Bethut.com uses cookies to give the best experience possible. Please read our Cookie Policy for more details