Nick Kyrgios Sued By Fan
A female fan who was accused by the Aussie of being drunk and disorderly is now threatening to sue Kyrgios for defamation of character. Anna Palus, a lawyer from Poland, was removed from Centre Court after Kyrgios’ inflamed accusations. Palus has since described the Aussie’s behaviour as reckless and unnecessary.
At the time of his outburst, Kyrgios, who ultimately lost the final to Serb Novak Djokovic, informed umpire Renaud Lichtenstein that Palus behaviour was unruly and a distraction to his performance. He also told Lichtenstein that her behaviour had nearly cost him a game during the biggest tennis occasion of the year.
He accused Palus of having been out of her mind with drunkenness.
Lichtenstein at the time told Kyrgios that he had no idea who the Aussie was referring to, to which the player responded that the woman was easy to spot as she appeared to have consumed about 700 drinks.
Palus this week told the press that she had been attending the men’s final together with her mother, and that the pair had been looking forward to the game for a very long time. She also said that the incident had caused massive harm on the day, and that since the news had been broadcast the world over, she and her family soon became the victims of incredible emotional damage and distress.
More Bad News For Kyrgios
Palus also informed the media that while she had not wanted to enter into litigation over the matter, following much consideration, the decision was made to instruct her solicitors to enter into legal proceedings to clear her good name and standing.
She said her greatest wish for the outcome of the matter is that Kyrgios’ behaviour should not be repeated at any point in the future.
According to the fan, any damages recovered from the legal proceedings will be donated to charity. She also said that she’s prepared to approach the highest court in the event that Kyrgios fails to apologise and resolve the matter.
But the defamation charge isn’t the only legal worry on the Australian’s plate. He is also facing criminal charges for common assault. During a hearing at the magistrate’s court in Australia on Tuesday, the matter was postponed until October 4. The court rejected a request by Kyrgios that the case be postponed until November 25.