FIFA Comments on Brazil vs Argentina Match
September 13, 2021
On Sunday the 5th September at the Corinthians arena in Sao Paulo Brazil, Brazil and Argentina were set to play a long awaited qualifiers game for the World Cup. The game was interrupted and brought to a sudden halt 10 minutes in. This unexpected interruption occurred when Brazilian Health authorities marched onto the field to stop the game. This is due to the fact that four of the Argentine players had allegedly broken the strict health and safety protocols in place for travelling players.
The Players That Were Detained
There were 4 players in question on the Argentinian team. They were: Emiliano Martinez of Aston Villa, Giovani Lo Celso and Cristian Romero, both from Tottenham Hotspur. The fourth player in question was Emiliano Buendia of Aston Villa. Although he wasn’t actually included in the squad, he was also under the spotlight having not followed the quarantine protocols.
Another shocking revelation to come out of this bizarre unfolding of events is the pair of players from Tottenham Hotspur have been accused of falsifying their Covid documents, in order to participate in Sunday’s game. The players had flown into Brazil from Caracas a few days earlier. On arrival they declared that they had not been in any of the four countries which are restricted for travel for the past 14 days.
The players were allegedly asked to quarantine before the match for a 14 day period, but this was not adhered to and has caused numerous repercussions.
Official Statements Released
FIFA and CONMEBOL both finally released their official statements almost a week after the scheduled match.
FIFA said that they regret the scenes preceding the suspension of the match. This match between Argentina and Brazil for the CONMEBOL qualifiers of the FIFA World Cup 2022 was one that millions of fans all over the world had been looking forward to. The suspension of this match between 2 of the most important footballing nations in the world is indeed a disappointment. FIFA went on to say that the first match official reports have been sent in. This information will be analysed by the competent disciplinary bodies and they promise that a decision will be taken in due course.
The CONMEBOL statement directly translated into English, says that by decision of the match referee, the match organized by FIFA between Brazil and Argentina for the World Cup Qualifiers is suspended.